SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | Book Suggestions for Completing the Far Left Column on Book Bingo

Have you completed a row on Book Bingo yet?

If you missed the memo, at the beginning of May we designed and posted a Book Bingo sheet for us to try and complete by the end of June. Despite the fact that a lot of us a lot more time on our hands at the moment, it can still be tricky deciding what to pick up and read, even without a Book Bingo sheet on the go!

I thought it would be fun to put together a couple of posts of suggestions of books that would fit some of the rows. If you're really stuck you can read all the books I suggest checking out and then boom! A complete row; go you! Gold star (virtually).

Some of the squares on our Book Bingo are about personal choice, or books that you've read in the past, so I'm not going to be suggesting books for those rows (I'm thinking about squares such as 'a genre you don't read very often' and 'recommended by a friend' because I can't comment on those for you). But let's get into it!




Left column


Non Fiction | Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

Like at all. It's not that they don't interest me, or that I don't think they're worth the time; it's mostly due to the fact that I love fiction too much, and why would I spend my hours reading non-fiction when I could be reading about dragons? It's that kind of feeling.

But when I picked up Girl, Wash Your Face and flipped to the front page to check it out, I started reading and couldn't really stop.

Shout outs | Becoming by Michelle Obama; The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank; The Moth by Catherine Burns; The Cartoon Introduction to Philosophy by Michael F Patton and Kevin Cannon.


A book with magic in it | The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss 

I still can't quite comprehend how good this book was. Ever since discovering the YA genre, it's not often I dive into adult fantasy books, but I had heard some many great things about this book that I had to pick it up. I'm so glad I did, because it was amazing. The magic in this book is called Sympathy, which is sort of like magic and alchemy mixed together. Definitely recommend!

Shout outs | Harry Potter by JK Rowling; The Magicians by Lev Grossman; Carry On by Rainbow Rowell; Graceling by Kristin Cashore.


Set in a big city | An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, by Hank Green

Hank Green's debut novel was amazing. Normally alien invasions and sci-fi genres don’t draw me in, but there was something about An Absolutely Remarkable Thing that was, shockingly enough, absolutely remarkable (and I’m 100% no one has made that joke before, she says sarcastically). It's set in many large cities around the world, but predominately New York and LA.

Shout outs | Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (London); Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (New York City); Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (Singapore).


Featuring a mythical creature | Eragon, by Christopher Paolini

I was about 15 years old when I first read Eragon, and since then I've read it multiple times (although I haven't actually finished the series! Eek!) Whenever anyone says 'dragons' (which happens more in my life than you might expect), then I think of Eragon. Can I caution you, though? Don't watch the movie. 

Shout outs | Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan; Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller; Mythos by Stephen Fry.

A book with a number in the title | Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

There were actually so many books that I could suggest for this box! You can check out a long list which Erin put together for our Book Club May theme here. But if you haven't read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, and you enjoyed YA fantasy mixed with great characters and spectacular heists, this is the duology for you. Get on it!

Shout outs: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid; Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte; One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus; Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline.



And you've done it! You've completed a column! Congratulations! I hope this has been helpful and at least given you some ideas for books to read.


No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.