SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Falling Kingdom Series | Morgan Rhodes | Review

Pictured: Books 2 - 4
In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side. - Goodreads

Having read all six books in the Falling Kingdoms series over the past few months, I can say with confidence that I still don't know whose side I'm on.

What I can tell you is that while I started off not loving the series, it definitely grew on me, so much so that I binge read the series over the course of a few weeks. Somehow the story got to me, and I couldn't stop reading it. Until, that is, I reached book five, and realised that book six wasn't at the library yet, and my hold-place in line was far, far, away. It was a long wait.

Instead of reviewing each of the books on Blogger's Bookshelf, I thought I'd review the entire series, without giving spoilers.

The plot of Falling Kingdoms

The main idea in this series is that there are magical stones/orbs/crystals which each hold one of the main elements (or elementia magic, as they call it): air, water, earth and fire. These four elements created the world, but after a series of events were lost, their powers no longer sustaining the earth. Without them, both the world that Magnus, Lucia, Jonas and Cleo live in, and the Sanctuary where the immortal Watchers live, are falling apart. Once found, the crystals will either heal the world, or destroy it, depending on those wielding its magic.

As the books progress through the series, the plot follows each of the four main characters through their highs and lows. After the first book ends, their stories interweave more and more, and they find themselves with similar agendas, or, as in a lot of cases, opposing ones. Alliances are formed, others broken, there are betrayals, there's love and loss, and a touch of teenage angst.

Book 2: Rebel Spring

The characters

Speaking of teenage angst, there isn't too much of it in this series, but at the same time there was enough silly behaviour and 'really?' moments that it was definitely why none of the books were a 5 star read for me.When I first started reading Falling Kingdoms (book one), I didn't really enjoy many of the main characters, but eventually I realised that my favourite characters were actually the minor ones.

A warning, but not a spoiler: don't get too attached to anyone if you can help it. Rather Game-of-Thrones-esque, they seem to die at unexpected times and in rather unexpected ways. I don't think there was a single death in this series that I was prepared for or saw coming. You've been warned.

The setting

The land of Mytica is divided into three kingdoms: Limeros in the north, Paelsia in the middle, and Auranos in the south. The north is cold, with harsh winters; the central area is perfect for grape growing and wine production; the south is warm, with hot summers. All the main characters come from different kingdoms, making it difficult, once again, to pick a favourite.

When you reach book 4 you'll discover that there's more to the world than just Mytica; the Kraeshan Empire stretches far beyond the shores of the kingdom that you'll get to know, making it look tiny in comparison. That's the other thing: maps! Each book has a map so you can easily reference where you are as the characters move around. I do love a good book map.



The verdict

As I mentioned, I did really get into these books. There were things I didn't enjoy, like all books, but overall, quite excellent. They're a light, easy-to-read fantasy series, with enough twists and turns (and surprise deaths) to keep you turning the pages late into the night.

While none of the books go a 5 starts from me, overall I'd give the series a 4 stars. If you end up picking up Falling Kingdoms, do let us know what you think of it. If you've already read, let us know if you enjoyed it!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.