SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Name of the Wind | Patrick Rothfuss | Review



"My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me." 

If you're into fantasy books and tales of magic, you could not pick up a better book. This story is a story within a story. 

Kote is the owner of the Waystone Inn. At first glance, he's just a normal bartender. But there is so much more to this man than meets the eye. When Chronicler, a man dedicated to writing people's life stories turns up at the door, he sees that Kote is actually Kvothe (pronounced "Quothe"), a mighty sorcerer. Chronicler manages to get Kvothe to tell the story of his life. As we go through the story we learn of the hardships which Kvothe has put up with from his childhood as well as his amazing adventures including  going to University at a younger age than most people are allowed in and learning the Name of the Wind. 

I really really liked this book despite the fact it took me about a month to read as its about 662 pages. It is the first book in "The Kingkiller Chronicles" and it is believed that there is going to be three books in the series but I believe there will be more as I've read the sequel (The Wise Man's Fear). If you know anyone who is into this series, you will know how annoyed they are as the third one will not be released for quite some time. 

I love the story because it is has so much adventure to it. There are so many amazing elements to this book, it has romance, it has instruments, it has poverty, it has....red hair. There is just so much in this book which reminds me of a true fairytale and I think if you are interested in those sorts of stories then you will really enjoy this. As I've said before in previous reviews, I love seeing different author's views on magic or how they interpret it in their books and I think there was a lot of imagination put towards this element of the book, not to mention all of the amazing detail that is shown in this book. I really wanted to jump into this world as it's just filled with fantasy. The characters in this book are just amazing as well and brilliantly described. 

But I have some slight problems. There were some parts of the book which I really didn't think were necessary. Some parts were just really slow and I had a hard time getting through it at some point. I could very well have stopped reading the book at some points but I was determined to persevere with it and I am glad I did. I do have some more problems with the second book for reasons I won't go into because I'll just turn this review into a rant storm. But those were my only problems with this book in particular. 

I will give Name of The Wind a four and a half star rating  because it was a really great story and I'm interested in reading the series again before the third one comes out (whenever that will be.) I definitely recommend it to people who are really interested in fantasy books and are wanting to jump into an epic and gripping story.

This book was reviewed by regular reviewer Lucy, get to know more about her here!
Photos by Lucy

3 comments

  1. This is one of those books that I have sitting on my bookshelf just begging me to read them...but I haven't quite got around to it. I think, though, after reading this, that it's definitely the next book on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just re read this comment, and realised it doesn't make much sense...
      In bullet points, then:

      - I've got this book
      - It's on my bookshelf
      - I need to read it
      - And after reading your review, it's next on my list...

      That's better...

      Delete
    2. I am so glad! It's really good, let me know what you thought of it!

      Delete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.