SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Orphan Monster Spy | Matt Killeen | Review


I am having a real historical fiction moment right now. I just can't get enough of it, which is particularly surprising considering the fact that I don't think I've even picked up a historical fiction book over the last few years. Whatever the reason, I'm more than happy to indulge this fancy because it has led me to some fantastic books.

One such book is Orphan Monster Spy, the debut novel from Matt Killeen. I actually heard Matt speak at the Northern YA Literary Festival and decided right there and then that I needed to read his book and pronto!

Orphan Monster Spy is all about Sarah, a Jewish teenager. Her life takes a strange turn when she meets an even stranger man, who convinces her to infiltrate an elite Nazi boarding school. There, she must use her skills to get close to one specific pupil, whose father just happens to be a Nazi scientist and owner of the blueprints to a bomb that could destroy everything. Sarah agrees and finds herself in considerable danger, fighting to survive a cut-throat school in a brutal world.

If you couldn't tell from that synopsis, Orphan Monster Spy is a fast-paced thriller that had me desperately turning the pages and devouring the story. I was completely and utterly hooked from the first few pages. It was so unpredictable that I could physically feel the tension - every time I thought things were safe, something new would be thrown into the mix!

This might sound like a lot but I thought that it really worked. A mahoosive part of this is the character of Sarah. Without giving too much away, Sarah's background is not only harrowing but also has given her the chance to develop the skills she needs to walk into a new life as a spy. Every time she is challenged, I was not only rooting for her but knew she had the experience necessary to give her a fighting chance. She was well constructed, believable and really rather amazing! If I get the chance to read more about Sarah, I will be a very happy reader.

Kelly x

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.