SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Under The Never Sky | Veronica Rossi | Review


“And in life, at least her new life, chances were the best she could hope for. They were like her rocks. Imperfect and surprising and maybe better in the long run than certainties. Chances, she thought, WERE life.” - Veronia Rossi, Under The Never Sky

Somewhere, sometime in a dystopian or post-apocalyptic world Aria lives in a safe and protected life inside a dome. She's happy and content with her life inside the dome until one day when her mother goes missing. While searching for her mother But in this dangerous place she gets help from a outsider called Perry,who's also searching for someone he has lost.

Under the Never Sky kind of sounded like a lot of young adult dystopian stories to me. But the fact that the Internet is filled with reviews raving about this book made me interested enough to pick it up! And to be totally honest with you, Under the Never Sky is a lot like many other young adult dystopian novels. There's an emotionally withdrawn but pretty girl, a mysterious but romantic guy and then there's always some mean people that are out to get them! But there's also something different about this book. 

First of all I actually felt like the love story was somewhat believable (I'm not going to go as far as saying that it's totally believable, but it's believable enough). I'm usually not the one that picks up a dystopian novel for the love story, I only go there for the action and excitement But I did enjoy reading about the development of the relationship between Aria and Perry. For once it's a relationship that forms over time instead of some dystopian kids falling head over heels for each other in three days. I also felt that the world building and story-line was somewhat unique and original (I'm using the word somewhat again because I wouldn't say it's totally unique but you get the point!)

So , I thought the story-line was a bit different and I kind of enjoyed the love story. What else? I guess you've guessed that I mostly enjoyed Under the Never Sky. I thought it was a fun and well-written dystopian YA novel and I liked the character development. But the problem for me was that it took me ages to get through this book! I'm not quite sure why! Help me! I seriously don't know why!? My first thought was to give this book 3 stars because it was a good book but it took me millions of years to read!. But then I thought about it again and thought that there was really no obvious reason for me not to really like it. And to be honest, I did! I think there was something missing to make it perfect but it was overall good enough to deserve 4 stars/5 stars. Under the Never Sky is definitively a good dystopian/post-apocalyptic read!

This post was written by regular reviewer Niina, get to know her here.

3 comments

  1. Really your blog is a great help, as my sister loves to read a lot. Will be eagerly waiting for more.

    My Blog :- Nature Health Secrets

    And will love to hear from you. I am a new follower of yours on GFC, Bloglovin and G+1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really the type of book I would normally pick up - but after reading your review I might actually do!

    ReplyDelete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.