SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Silver Linings Playbook | Matthew Quick | Review




Pat Peoples believes everything will work out in the end, he believes that his life is like one of those feel good movies that always have a happy ending. So as he embarks on a journey to get back with his wife Nikki back after spending a lengthy stretch in a mental health facility, nobody wants to let Pat find out the truth. The truth which doesn't look like it has any silver lining. But then Pat meets Tiffany, a young lady who has struggles with everything life has thrown at her lately. Their friendship grows and the real truth starts to reveal itself.

The Silver Linings Playbook is not one of those books that I would have immediately picked up in a book store.  However after watching the film I was convinced that I needed to read the book. I’m glad I did especially as the book gives so much more detail about the characters – which are the most interesting part of this book.  The way the book tackles the serious issues, shows how these characters interact or close themselves off are what kept me reading and enjoying every page.

If I had not watched the film first (big mistake I know – I should of known better) I think I would have really enjoyed rediscovering Pat’s old life with him and being taken on that journey.  Hidden elements of his past are slowly revealed to us and it really allows the reader to play the guessing game. I would of enjoyed trying to work it all out before Pat did (the competitive side of me would of reared its ugly head).

If I could pick out one aspect of The Silver Linings Playbook which I found frustrating it would be all the details of the classic novels that Pat reads. Now don’t get me wrong I love how they have included these books and that he is reading them – but some of them I haven’t read and now I don’t feel I need to as the plots have already been revealed to me in quite some detail.

I would definitely recommend The Silver Linings Playbook, especially if you like to read something a little different every now and then. 

This post was written by regular reviewer Laura, get to know her here.
Image from Goodreads

2 comments

  1. I really need to get on and read this one! The only thing putting me off is the spoilers for other books within the book =S xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also caved and watched the film before I got the book! I'm definitely still excited to read it though, although I'm a bit sceptical about the classic novel spoilers =S xx

    http://squares2790.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.