SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | Books that aren't worth the hype

There are so many amazing books in the world that no one ever talks or hears about
 Then there are the mediocre ones that it seems everyone's reading. Warning -if you are an easily offended obsessive fangirl (or boy) I would advise you don't read this post - things might get a little controversial.

I don't think many people will disagree with me on this one, but the third hunger games was a massive disappointment. It wasn't bad, but didn't live up to the standards set by the previous two books. Having said that, I'm still ridiculously over excited for the last movie.

Another book that I enjoyed a lot less than I thought I would was looking for Alaska. In fact, I didn't just think this book was mediocre - I actively disliked it to the point where I couldn't finish it. I found the characters to be slightly shallow and irritating, and aside from the twist, the plot was thin. I know a lot of people that love it though, so maybe it just wasn't for me.


The perks of being a wallflower is another book I don't really understand the hype around. I do see the merits of the book - it's well written, the characters are interesting and it handles difficult issues reasonable sensitively. However, I found the story really difficult to get into. If you're not too bothered about plot and prefer reading about characters thoughts and feelings then you might really like this, but it was a bit too slow for me.

Finally, we have my sisters keeper. To be fair, most of the hype is around the film, which I assumed meant it applied to the book as well. It doesn't. The idea for this book is so good, but in my opinion it's not executed well. The point of view is constantly switching which makes it unnecessarily confusing and much harder to get into.  The film tells the story far better.

What books do you think are over hyped?
Katie x

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.