SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

War Horse | Michael Morpurgo | Reviewed by Laura


This unique books details the life of Joey, a thoroughbred horse whose life dramatically changes when he is dragged away from his life as a farm horse and taken straight into the heart of WW1.

I had heard great things about this book before I read it, then the adaptation into film forced me to grab he book off the shelf and start reading (We all know it's book first, film second). I was surprised and equally impressed to find that the book is written from Joey's perspective, it's unique and gives a very different impression of the war. 

This story is heartbreaking, uplifting, terrifying and emotional. Morpurgo captures the essence of war and tugs at your heart strings, I cried... boy did I cry when reading this book. I really enjoyed the contrast of characters in this book, it was almost as if for every character that I loved there was one that I disliked but even those that I disliked had a purpose, there was a reason as to why they were like that, whether this be job or way of life.

I don't think anyone can dislike Joey as a character, how can you not like a horse?! His determination, his strength, his love all made me wish I had a horse! I was terrified throughout this book of how things were going to turn out in the end, but luckily I didn't have to worry. 

The war scenes are heart-breaking, the description is enough to make you feel that you are stood there with it all happening around you. I have not read an author who can create imagery quite like Morpurgo can. 

As for the film, well I watched it last week and I did enjoy it, it didn't make me cry though... so there must of been something missing. 


5/5

This post was written by regular reviewer Laura, get to know her here.
Image from Goodreads

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.