SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

2014 Reading Goals | Update #1

Back in January we shared some of our reading goals for the year and today's post is the first in our update series sharing how we're all getting on so far. Read on to find out who's on target, what books we've been loving and what we'll be reading (and reviewing) next!


490

Ria... 5/50 books read, 1/5 books vowed to read
I'm oh so behind on my book goal (7 books behind according to Goodreads!) though I do blame University priorities for this! That being said the first five books of 2014 have been my most diverse set in terms of genre, authors and writing style and the two I've enjoyed the most - Eleanor & Park and The Elites - have some of the most diverse sets of characters too (so 10 points to me on keeping up my diversity pledge!). The only book ticked off on my books to read challenge is On The Road, which I was pretty disappointed by. I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come, as I'm pretty excited to get back on the reading bandwagon and start on Marukami's and Gaiman's novels soon!


Anjali... 13/45 books read, 1/5 books vowed to read
Out of my 5 vowed to read books, I've only read one so far, which was The Elite by Keira Cass. In regards t my other books, I have three of them sitting on my bookshelf right now, I just haven't managed to get around to reading them yet (so many books, so little time!). Other books I've enjoyed this year have been The Magicians by Lev Grossman and also Shift by Em Bailey, both of which I have given four stars to. Was a bit disappointed in The Bell Between Worlds by Ian Johnstone. The description sounded so cool, but I found it to be a real let down.


Cat... 7/25 books read, 3/5 books vowed to read
My favourites for 2014 have been Cruel Summer and Ten which are of the murder mystery variety, I loved these (as an avid fan of anything Cluedo-like) they were intriguing, exciting and fresh. I would highly recommend! I am currently reading Yes Man, which took me a while to get into as it was such a different genre to what i had been reading, but I am thoroughly enjoying now. I look forward to completing all my vowed books soon!

Laura... 7/30 books read, 1/5 books vowed to read
It's been well so far, Goodreads informs me I am on track. I am currently reading 4 different books so if I get my bum in gear and actually finish them then I'll be nearly half way! I've enjoyed most of the books I've read apart from the previously reviewed A Tiny Bit Marvellous. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into more of my 'vowed to read' books too.


696


 Ali... 5/20 books read, 1/5 books vowed to read
I'm happy to report that I am on track to meet my 2014 goal of reading 20 books (according to my Goodreads challenge widget anyway). I've only read one from my TBR list but I've just bought Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green which I plan to read next. It's a beast but looks beautiful.
My favourite so far is Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse - turns out I'm a big "marriage thriller" fan! I'm also really enjoying my current read, Layla by Nina de la Mer, but I'm only two chapters in so could go either way.


Niina... 6/30 books read, 2/5 books vowed to read
I've read 6/30 books so I'm a bit behind schedule. I read 5 of the books in January and February but have only read one book in March. But I'm still hopeful about my chances to read 30 books this year.
I've read two of the books I've vowed to read, Delirium by Lauren Oliver and Time Riders by Alex Scarrow. My favourites of the books I've read so far this year are Delirium and If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch. I haven't read any 5 star books yet though.


Erin... 24/50 books read, 3/5 books vowed to read
I definitely haven't been reading as much over the last month or so but thanks to a few short reads (mainly craft books!) have still managed to make it to almost halfway to my goal for the year. Although I haven't read as many novels recently I have found a few that I really enjoyed - favourite reads so far have been Yes Man (Danny Wallace), Forgive Me Leonard Peacock (Matthew Quick), Ten (Gretchen McNeil) and Genesis (Bernard Beckett).


Kath... 25/75 books read, 1/5 books vowed to read
I'm continuing my love of Young Adult fiction this year. Most of the books that I have read so far have been Young Adult, but I'm especially trying to read more by UK authors - I'm celebrating our homegrown talent! My favourite reads of the year so far have to be The Year of the Rat by Clare Furniss and The Eye of Minds by James Dashner. I've only read one out of the five books I have vowed to read - The Crack-Up by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It's a beautiful confrontation of the pressures of fame and life in general, and were entirely appropriate for the period of life which I'm in at the moment. Most of my books have gone into storage for a couple of months, so I'll have to continue on with the books I've vowed to read later on in the year! 


4944


Thanks to everyone who contributed to this update post - see you in a few months for the next one!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it's your turn to share! We'd love to know how you're getting on with your own goals and what books you've been loving in 2014. Don't forget to leave us a comment below!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.