SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Trials of Apollo - The Hidden Oracle | Rick Riordan

You may be wondering why I have a random Greek statue above unless you've read the title that is... This here is Apollo and he's who I wanted to talk to you about, don't worry I did crop out his private parts - he wasn't wearing a leaf and neither was the chrome version in the book!

It's no secret I'm a major fan of the Percy Jackson series, as I couldn't stop raving on about them last year when I finally got around to reading them. After I'd finished the series I was obsessed but I didn't really think to look into any other Rick Riordan books (well I did I just had a whole other TBR pile to think about instead). That is, however, until now...

I finished the first book The Hidden Oracle in The Trials of Apollo series in around 24 hours, it was excellent. The only problem I found was that I didn't realise all of Rick Riordan's book sort of lead one after the other. So because I was reading the first book in the latest series in parts of the book it referenced to a few of the errr 11 books I hadn't already read that had happened after the Percy Jackson series. In saying that it wasn't too much trouble, as most important events were explained enough that you could understand what was happening.


How do you punish an immortal? By making him human.

After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disorientated, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world until he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus's favour.

But Apollo has many enemies—gods, monsters and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go... an enclave of modern demigods known as Camp Half-Blood.


The book begins when the God Apollo has been turned mortal and sent down to Earth by Zeus to make up for his wrongdoing, something that has happened twice before although this time he retains none of his Godly powers. With a few new and old pals, yes Percy has returned for a small part, he works to solve the mystery of the disappearing demigods from Camp Half-Blood which unsurprisingly intermingles with the wrongdoings that got him there.

The main reason I loved this book what the way Apollo told the story. While Percy Jackson's narration was fine and dandy, Apollo's is hilariously great and I especially loved some of the parts he talked about himself as others would talk about Apollo. E.g. "I settled down on my bed in the Me cabin." instead of the Apollo cabin.

If you haven't read any of Rick Riordan's books I definitely recommend them, especially if you love Greek mythology like me. Also, another quick recommendation to the Greek myth lovers the audiobook Mythos read by Stephen Fry is excellent and totally great for learning about smaller myths rather than stories about the big 12!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.