SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

As Old As Time | Liz Braswell | Review


One of the best things about having friends who are also massive bookworms is that they know that the way to your heart is through books. My friend Sam actually bought me a whole heap of books for my birthday so I've been slowly making my way through them, lucky girl that I am. Some of them were books that she knew I would love, while others were more of a wildcard choice.

One such wildcard choice was As Old As Time, a Beauty and the Beast retelling which I probably wouldn't have picked up by myself. I'm so glad that I gave it a chance however as it was really good.

If I'm perfectly honest, I found the start of it a little slow as Braswell told the recognizable story of Beauty and the Beast. I'm a bit of a Disney fanatic so knew this bit really well, which did not make for an exciting read. These were interspersed with stories about Belle's parents which were completely new and much better at captivating my attention. Without giving away any spoilers, things took a turn for the dramatic around 150 pages in and this is where I really started to love As Old As Time.

Liz Braswell took a familiar story and really made it her own, showing off her considerable imagination and creativity. While she stayed true to the essence of the story and its characters, she expanded them in ways I would never have managed. As Old as Time gave this classic love story a serious upgrade and I loved it!

The author also didn't shy away from looking at some hefty moral issues that were left in the shadows in Beauty and the Beast, especially in regards to the original curse and ideas of responsibility. This was actually one of my favourite parts of the book, and the one that stayed with me the longest.

Kelly x

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.