SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

My Heart & Other Black Holes | Jasmine Warga | Review



*Trigger warning: This book contains discussions and glorification of suicide.*

Aysel wants to die. She is convinced she has the same darkness inside of her that her father has and wants to protect everyone around her by ending her life. There is only one problem, she needs somebody to make sure she goes through with it. Enter Roman - a boy she met on an online chatroom designed to create Suicide Partners. Only Roman isn't what she expected - he's good looking, is popular, has talents and dreams, why does he want to die? As the two become closer, Aysel begins to question whether they are doing the right thing and we're left wondering whether the two will go through with it or not. 

I enjoyed this book. It's the first book I've actually finished in a while and it didn't take me long to whip through it. However, it didn't blow me away and I was kind of hoping it would. The topic is very dark and one that is quite close to my heart. The portrayal of teenagers with depression who are contemplating suicide was a realistic one, in my opinion. Particularly through the descriptions of Roman but less so through Aysel's voice. The ending lacked for me and I was left feeling as though the story wasn't quite over, even when I turned the last page. I still really enjoyed reading this book and getting to know the two main characters and their struggles. I would highly recommend picking up this book - it won't change your life, but it's still a good read.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.