Features | Reading Goals

Thursday, 7 January 2016


A new year means new reading goals. Whether you've pledged to read 100 books on goodreads or just promised yourself that you'll read more non-fiction this year, you've probably already set some kind of reading goal for 2016. Mine is just to read as many of the unread books in my bookcase as I possibly can. (Easier said than done when so many excellent new books keep coming out!)

I have never officially taken part in the goodreads yearly reading challenges but I do secretly try to read at leat 52 books every year and I keep a list of all the books I've read each year so that I can easily see what I've read when December comes around. I've been doing this for the past three years and in 2015 I broke my own record, reading nearly 70 books in one year. Pleased as I am with that number though, there are other things in terms of my reading that I am more proud of this year.

Last year I took part in my first readathon and read seven books in seven days for the booktubeathon, I also read and reviewed all 13 books in the Gossip Girl series for my blog, and I finally finished T. H. White's The Once and Future King, after taking a break from it for over a year. I read Frankenstein and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland for the first time, and three of the Sherlock Holmes books. Three years from now I know I'll remember all of those things, but I doubt I'll be able to remember how many books I read in 2015 without checking the list again.

I would like to read more classics this year, and I would like to really make a dent in my TBR, but in terms of numbers I'm not too worried. I don't expect to read as many books in 2016 as I did last year and I certainly don't expect to read any more 13 book series. As long as I read a lot of books I enjoy, I'll consider it a good reading year.

Have you set any reading goals for 2016? I'd love to hear about them in the comments!
author image

Post author: Anastasia

Anastasia is an English and Creative Writing graduate and aspiring writer. She spends most of her time trying to pass off reading books and watching films as research for her many works in progress but occasionally she also remembers to blog at stasialikescakes.

No comments :

Post a Comment