SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Little Girl Gone | Alexandra Burt | Review



I was really looking forward to reading this book after reading the synopsis. A mother who doesn't report her baby missing when she discovers she isn't in her crib, she doesn't even tell the father. Then, she is found in a wrecked car, miles from her home with a nasty head wound and no recollection of what happened. Without her memory, she begins to question everything, including whether she even had a baby at all, or if she was responsible for her disappearance. 

I love thrillers, the grittier the better. So when I read about this one, I couldn't wait to dive right in. Estelle, the mother in question, is an unreliable narrator, not only because she has amnesia, but because she can remember the days after her daughter was born, when she was suffering from postnatal depression. We hear the story through Estelle's point of view and whilst it is intriguing to not know what is going on, as we get further into the story, it becomes frustrating. Some may argue that is the point, in that we are experiencing the frustration the same way the main character is, but I understand that and still didn't appreciate the POV. It's difficult to explain why I didn't fall in love with this book, as on one hand it kept me fairly intrigued as to what was going to happen, but on the other hand I found myself incredibly bored. It didn't feel fast-paced enough for the plot and I kept looking to see how long was left of the book. I wouldn't really recommend reading this book as there are plenty of better thrillers out there, with much better endings. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.