SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

I Still Dream About You | Fannie Flagg | Reviewed by Niina

P7154689
“Hazel always used to say There's not enough darkness in the entire universe to snuff out the light of just one little candle.”  - Fannie Flagg, I Still Dream About You

Maggie Fortenberry is a former Miss Alabama who seems to live a perfect life. She's a successful and charming real estate agent that still looks beautiful after so many years. But Maggie's life hasn't turned out the way she imagined and she feels like there's nothing left in this life for her. So charming and lovely Maggie Fortenberry starts planning her own death. 


I picked up I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg because I really enjoyed A Redbird Christmas by the same author (read my review of A Redbird Christmas here). A Redbird Christmas is in my opinion the ultimate feel-good novel so I was expecting the same thing from I Still Dream About You. The plot in this book might seem a bit depressing, because let's be honest, it's a story about a person who wants to die. But this novel is not depressing at all, it's a funny and heart warming story. Some might think that it's wrong to write such an easy going book about a serious subject like someone wanting to kill themselves. But I don't think there's any rules about how your allowed to write about difficult subjects. 


I mostly really enjoyed reading I Still Dream About You, I especially enjoyed the characters. Because if there's something Fannie Flagg is good at, it's creating fun, interesting and original characters. Even if I didn't personally like every character I found them interesting. I also really liked the fact that the city of Birmingham, Alabama where Maggie lives almost was like a living character in the novel. Fannie Flagg makes me want to become a real estate agent in the south (even if it doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to be). 


But even if I Still Dream About you was an enjoyable read I was a little bit disappointed. The story-line wasn't as original and interesting as I thought it would be. Even if it was a fun story I felt like it was lacking something. I also felt like the ending was a little bit simple and that Fannie Flagg took the easy way out while writing it. The book pretty much ended the way I thought it would end (even if there was a small little twist). So yes, I Still Dream About You is a fun book that makes you smile, but it's nothing life changing or a story that I will remember the rest of my life. If you've never read anything by Fannie Flagg before I would recommend A Redbird Christmas instead, but if you're a fan, I think you'll really enjoy I Still Dream About You as well. I give I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg 3,5/5 stars.


This post was written by regular reviewer Niina, get to know her here.




3halfstars


No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.