SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Alchemyst | Michael Scott | Review

The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)

The Alchemyst is the first in a series of books called The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel. Josh and Sophie Newman's lives change when they witness an attack of magic which breaks out in Nick Flamel's bookshop. Shortly afterwards, they realise that Nick Flamel is actually the great Nicholas Flamel, the greatest alchemyst of all time. His death apparently was six hundred years ago but to this day the tomb lies empty. The secret of eternal life lies in a magical book and with it, you become immortal. However, the book is now stolen by the evil Dr John Dee and it is up to Josh and Sophie Newman to save not only Nick and his wife Perry but the whole world.

I have only read the first two books in this series but they are both un-put-down-able books and I can't wait to continue the series this year. The Alchemyst is a great start to a great series. It is filled with fantasy creatures and full of adventure. I would definitely recommend this series to people who might be a slow reader because the chapters are really short and you get through the book in a couple of days. I would also recommend it to people who love the fantasy genre and who might be looking for something similar to Harry Potter. I must admit that I thought there was a serious link to Harry Potter when I read the title. But there really isn't as the series starts in San Francisco. I won't give any spoilers but they do have portals which go from place to place and The Historian, which is the sequel to the Alchemyst, is set in Paris.

I'm going to give this series four out of five stars because it's a brilliant series. I definitely think it's quite an underrated series and more people should read the books. So if you're looking for something which is fantasy related or anything to do with magic then this is your book. If you also want to get stuck into a new series then I would love it if you would give this a go!

This book was reviewed by regular reviewer Lucy, get to know her here!
Photo from Goodreads.

3 comments

  1. Ooh, this does look un-put-down-able!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas Flamel? That rings a bell in my mind, did this character exist in Harry Potter series too?? I think in book No 2...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is just... AMAZING! I have no words to describe it without spoiling the book,but all I can say is that it. Is. Truly. Powerful. If you like the series Fablehaven, or If you like this series, you will like Whitehaven and the other way around.
    Mountainville NY Maid Service website

    ReplyDelete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.