SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children | Ransom Riggs | Review

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs tells the story of sixteen year old Jacob. After witnessing his grandfather's death, Jacob's life is not the same. He is sent to therapy to try and help his grief and fear of a monster which he's not sure is real or an item of his imagination. But nothing can help him from his nightmares. As  the book develops, Jacob starts to think about the last few things his grandfather said to him before he died. Slowly but surely, the clues present themselves and the only way to investigate further is to go to a small island in Wales. His grandfather spent his childhood there under the care of Miss Peregrine. As Jacob starts searching for some answers, he begins to realise that the stories his grandfather used to tell him of the other children are more than just stories.

I really liked the storyline of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It was a proper journey that Jacob had to go on in order to find the answers of what his grandfather's childhood was really like. I found it really interesting how the author developed the book.  It's kind of hard to explain but I just found it really unexpected and then I was encouraged to read more. I really enjoyed the pictures, although I found some of them quite disturbing.

I don't know whether it was because I have been busy recently, but I found it really hard to get into the book and that it was quite slow moving until you reached a certain point in it. Another disadvantage about this book, for me, was that I didn't like Jacob as I do for most characters I read in books. I don't know why, I just couldn't empathise for him in certain situations.

I will give Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a 3 1/2 star rating because, although I liked the story, I just couldn't sympathise with the characters. Also, I really like a book which keeps me engaged throughout every chapter, and I prefer it when the chapters aren't too long.

If you are at all interested in reading scary books or books which have a bit of a thrill to them then I would recommend this to you. I know we all have our own different preferences so even though I had my disadvantages, it still is a very good book.

This book was reviewed by regular reviewer Lucy, get to know her here.
Photo from Goodreads 

1 comment

  1. I would give it the same rating. I enjoyed it, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I was expecting something original and totally new. But it's still a good book. 3,5 stars is a good rating :)

    ReplyDelete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.