SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Unbreakable | Kami Garcia | Reviewed by Anjali


"Kennedy Waters didn't believe in ghosts, until one tried to kill her."

I bought this book nearly a year ago, and it was sitting on my book shelf, unread, for that long too. Until recently, when I found myself not knowing what to read next and wanting something short and sweet, and a bit different to the books I had been reading. When I bought this book I didn't really know what it was about, only that I recognised the author as being one who co-wrote Beautiful Creatures (Kami Garcia). But I can tell you now that I'm glad I bought it last year, and I really enjoyed it.

Unbreakable is the story of Kennedy, a 17 year old who one days finds her mother dead in their house. As if things couldn't get any worse, she's seeing ghosts and one even tried to kill her. But then she meets Jared and Lukas Lockhart, twin brothers who tell her that her mother wasn't really who she said she was, and that she was keeping things from Kennedy. Kennedy soon discovers that her mother was one of 5 members of Legion, a small secret society responsible for protecting the world against evil supernatural beings. These 5 members of Legion were all killed...on the same night.

Kennedy is thrown into a world she never knew existed, grouped together with people she's never met, and to make things worse, the town thinks she's gone missing and there's a man hunt on the go for her. As Kennedy, the twins and the two other members of the newly formed Legion, Priest and Alara, start a supernatural scavenger hunt for the pieces of a weapon that will destroy the demon that killed the previous members, Kennedy is not only learning about different weapons, and symbols, and salt lines to keep demons out, but she's attacked by vengeance spirits, and can't shake her feelings for one of the boys.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked Kennedy as a character and found that even though there was evidence right before her eyes, she took her time accepting the news things that were being thrown at her, and I think that's something that a lot of books don't really do very well. To me, it seems that too often characters accepts these huge secret reveals and life changing events all too easily, but I felt that with Kennedy it took longer, which was a lot more realistic. The other characters were also great, and I found myself liking all of them for various reasons. Each had very different personalties, and skills, and back stories, and it was great to read. The story line was pretty good, and I liked the scavenger-hunt type feel to it. It was also scary. I'm not one for reading horror books or even ones that I think are going to scare the socks off me, so I'm not really used to it. In hind sight, this book probably wasn't scary at all, but I did read parts thinking 'ohmygosh that's terrifying'.

If you like supernatural books, with evil ghosts and secret societies, teenagers falling for each other in the midst of life-threatening situations, then give this book a go. At only 300 ish pages, it's a fast read, and the story clips along at a good rate.


This review was written by regular reviewer Anjali, get to know her here
Image from Good Reads

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.