SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Some Books I Couldn't Finish | Feature

I used to be one of those people who pushed through books no matter what to finish them. I thought people would judge me for not finishing books, I thought it was wrong. More recently I've realised that no one is judging as much as I thought and I was just putting myself through something I didn't need to go through. I was just causing book slumps from books that weren't my thing instead of reading books I enjoyed! Sometimes books have to be read at a certain time of your life, sometimes you have to be feeling a certain way, and sometimes you're just too old for that YA novel...

If you don't like a book, don't finish it! Here are a few books that I never finished, feel free to try and convince me to try again if one of these is your favourite.

The Sun Is Also A Star 

I'm going to start with one that I don't know why I didn't like it. Unfair I know. I loved Nicola Yoon's previous book Everything Everything so I thought I would love this too. But I just didn't. Maybe it was the characters or the storyline, I don't know.

Inside Out 

I have tried this book too many times to count as I know it's just like all the other dystopian type books I love like Divergent, The Hunger Games, and The Darkest Minds etc. I just could not get past the first few chapters, it pained me to read it and I just could not enjoy it. I think it was most likely the writing style as like I mentioned I usually gobble up this type of book. I'm unsure whether I'll try it again, but if you think I should definitely tell me why!

Caraval

I know I'm going to insult a lot of people saying that I didn't like this book. Everyone and their dog loves this book so I'm definitely going to try again at some point in the future but at the time I tried reading it, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I know I'm going to love it though as this is the very sort of storyline and air of fantasy I love about books, it just wasn't the right time.

From Twinkle, With Love

I just could not get into this book, it bored me. It actually made me question whether I was too old for YA but I think (I hope) it was just this book. I read two chapters and I could already tell exactly what was going to happen in the entire book, it was a novel full of cliche's and overdone storylines and I just wasn't having a bar of it.

Game of Thrones 

I'm adding this one in because I've tried to read it several times and only recently was in the right mindset to get all the way through it (and through the second book). This is also a great example of those few novels that I actually need to watch the movie or TV series first before I manage to get through it. Usually, that's because they're rather dense with a lot of characters to learn. After watching the first few series of GoT I learnt the main characters names, had an understanding of the world and very vaguely remembered the storyline of the first series. All of that was enough to get me through it on what was probably my fourth try.


What's a novel you couldn't finish but everyone else loves? 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.