SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | May Reads


The first book I picked up this month was my book club selection One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid. The book tells the story of Emma Blair a young woman whose husband, her high school sweetheart Jesse, is tragically involved in a helicopter accident on thier first wedding anniversary. Several years later Emma has managed to piece her life back together after losing Jesse and has found love again with her fiance Sam, but when out to dinner with her family she receives a phone call that changes everything. As with all of Taylor Jenkins Reid's novels the characters felt realistic and I really enjoyed it.

Whilst I wasn't surprised that I found One True Loves to be a great read, I was a little surprised at just how much I enjoyed The Nightingale. This is the first Kristin Hannah book I've picked up and after already being slowly drawn more towards the Historical Fiction genre it was Heather over at Bookables enthusiasm for this novel that saw me finally decide to read it. The book is set during the second world war and focuses on the story of two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, living in France. I've never really read anything like before and whilst it had many truly heartbreaking moments, the story was very engaging and well-written. I'd definitely be interested in reading another Kristin Hannah book in future.

Another interesting read from this month was The Southern Book Club's Guide To Slaying Vampires (Grady Hendrix), which I recieved via Netgalley for review. Going into this read I knew it was a vampire story and that there would be some gory moments but there were a lot of other elements I wasn't expecting too. Overall I had mixed feelings about the book but if you'd like to find out a bit more about The Southern Book Club's Guide To Slaying Vampires, you can find my review in the BB archives.

Follow

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.