SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Reapers Are The Angels | Alden Bell | Review



“...a noisy parade of memories that frustrate her because of the way they play themselves out. These memories-it feels like she's back there in the moment, like she has the moment to do over and make different choices than she made. But she can't, because they're just memories and they're set down permanent as if they were chiseled in marble, and so she just has to watch herself do the same things over and over and it's a condemnation if it's anything.” - Alden Bell, The Reapers are the Angels.

The Reapers are the Angels is a story about a fifteen-year-old girl's journey through a country that has turned into a zombie-filled wasteland. But this story is so much more than what meets the eye, because this is not your classic zombie novel about gore, action and a desperate fight for survival. This story is about such more...

There might be a few new readers here so I have to start of by making one thing clear to everyone. I'm a huge fan of zombie fiction. That being said I really think this is a book that anyone could really enjoy (not only zombie fans). But you should still keep my zombie fandom in mind while reading this review, because to be honest, I get a bit excited even by the thought of a zombie apocalypse (I'm a bit weird like that). But I'll try my best to keep that excitement at a normal level and give you an honest and objective review of The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell.

Okay, so you might have already guess it. I really loved this book. Wow, It's honestly such a different, engaging, weird, wonderful, cruel and beautiful story (yes, I just used the word beautiful to describe a zombie novel). The whole book has a special, almost magical feeling to it. I've heard it being describe as a magical western roadtrip and I think I have to agree with that description. And let me tell you a little about the main character Temple. She's such a weird, smart, broken, wonderful, strong, confusing and awesome character! The characters are always a big part of me liking or not liking a book. I don't have to like the character's personalities but there has to be some depth to them and Temple is a perfect example of that. She makes sense to me but there's also some kind of mystery around her that I quite can't wrap my head around. The other characters in this book were portrayed in an equally enjoyable way. One other thing I really liked about The Reapers are the Angels was Alden Bell's writing. It's a very classic and beautiful kind of story telling and that's unusual and a fresh touch to the zombie genre.

So yes, I really loved The Reapers are the Angels and recommend it to everyone (like I said, it's not only for zombie fans)! So please give this a try because this is such a different and beautiful read. I can even go as far as saying that it's one of my favorite books of all time. So... I guess my rating of The Reapers are the Angels is pretty obvious, 5/5 stars.

This post was written by regular reviewer Niina, get to know her here.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.