SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Jellicoe Road | Melina Marchetta | Review




“He stops and looks at me. 'I'm here because of you. You're my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked way, is tuned in to mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell, yes, but I don't think that will be happening in my lifetime.” - Melina Marchetta, Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road is narrated by Taylor. Taylor has been abandoned by her mother and lives at the boarding school on the Jellicoe Road. This is Taylor story. A story about her search for her past. But it's also a story about a car accident that happened on the Jellicoe Road twenty years earlier. And let's not forget that it's a story about life, love and growing up. And most of all it's a story about true friendship.

I did read this book right after I finished reading Looking for Alaska by John Green. Not that they're exactly the same but I can't help to compare them because there's quite a few similarities. They're both young adult novels about a group of teenagers going to a boarding school and they're both excellent coming of age stories. But I still have to say I enjoyed Jellicoe Road a bit more. Okay, let's be honest here, I didn't just enjoy Jellicoe Road, I loved it! I got so caught up in the story that I couldn't stop reading it (which wasn't the case with Looking for Alaska even if it's an excellent book as well)! I stayed up reading this book way too late two nights in a row!

So why did I love this story so much? 

First of all; I really liked the characters! I might even say I loved them (and that's true to every single one of them). They all have a lot of depth to them and feel honest and true without being predictable (I hate predictable characters). I could really relate to them and I really enjoyed seeing them grow through the story. I also loved how the relationships between the characters felt really believable and honest. Melina Marchetta didn't make the relationships too easy or uncomplicated and I like that because that's how human relationships play out. They're never that simple no matter if it's about love, friendship or family. And I have to say that this is one of the few books that I really got caught in from the first page. It usually takes me a good while to get into a story. But not this one! There's a lot of excitement, mystery and interesting characters that keeps you intrigued through the whole book...

I also really like Melina Marchetta's writting style. The story feels almost magical (like a fairy tale) even if it's a pretty realistic story . Melina Marchetta is truly great story teller! So, no I don't really have anything negative to say about the Jellicoe Road. This was truly a wonderful read from the first to the last page. So I guess you know where I'm going with my rating!? There's no doubt about it! 5/5 stars

So, now when you've read this review; Go and get your hands on a copy of the Jellicoe Road! You can thank me later!

This review was written by regular reviewer Niina, get to know her here.

1 comment

  1. This book looks amazing and your blog is so cute! Such a good, original idea. I love it.

    Christina x

    ReplyDelete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.