SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Break Your Glass Slippers | Amanda Lovelace | Review


"more forgetting time.
more midnight dances with yourself
"
I've said it before and the truth remains: I'm not a huge fan of poetry. I try to get into it every so often, but I can't seem to grasp hold of it like the way some people have. Over the last few years I've discovered that I rather enjoy short-form poetry, the likes of Instagram-famous Atticus.

After forgetting to read full length novels which I was granted access to on Netgalley, I thought I would better use the platform for things that I will actually read in ebook form: graphic novels, and poetry. Enter Break Your Glass Slippers, by Amanda Lovelace.

Break Your Glass Slippers is what you might expect: poems that are at least semi-related to Cinderella, fairy godmothers and princes. But it's unlike what you might expect in the way Lovelace gathers the words together. The book is sectioned by a few characters: a Cinderella-esque girl falling for a boy, struggling with her self worth and who she is; a fairy godmother, who tells her the truth and gives advice, whether is hears it or not; the prince, who isn't what he seems. "Here", says the forward, "we all get to be Cinderella, our own Fairy Godmother, and best of all, our own Prince."

I read this book in one sitting, and it flowed beautifully between poems and themes and highs and lows. There were a few poems that I really loved and paused over for a moment or three, and there were others I wouldn't go back to. But on the whole, Break Your Glass Slippers was a really enjoyable short-form poetry collection, and if you're into authors like Atticus and perhaps Rupi Kaur, then give this book a go when it comes out in March.


No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.