SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | Reading Challenge 2019 Complete | Five Fave Books so Far


Like many of us book lovers, I take part in the Goodreads Reading Challenge each year. If you're unfamiliar, it's basically a chance for you to set yourself a book reading goal to achieve in the coming year. Usually I go for something between 40 and 50 books, and last year I managed to get through 76 (though, granted, about 10 of those where were super short and about the same amount were graphic novels), so I knew I should go for the higher end.

My goal for the year was 50, and I'm pleased to say that my goal was achieved on September 30th when I finished listening to The Upside of Unrequited, by Becky Albertalli. That doesn't mean I'm slowing down or not reading any more - far from it! I have so many books that I really want to read this year, and a literal pile next to my bed for all the ones I'm reading next.


I thought to celebrate this wee achievement, I'd share with you my five fave books that I've read in 2019 so far (although obviously subject to change come December).

  • Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson
  • The Vanishing Stair by Maureen Johnson
  • The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee
  • Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte
  • King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo

Both Truly Devious and The Vanishing Stair were so so so excellent and I can't rave about them enough. The third and final book in this latest series by Johnson is The Hand in the Wall and it comes out in January. I cannot wait to get my hands on it! 

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy is the companion novel to The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue and was just as fun as it's buddy. I actually read this for the first time earlier in the year and then re-read it via audio book later in the year; I've never re-read a book that I read for the first time in the space of a year, let alone months apart. 

Four Dead Queens is a YA debut novel from Scholte, an Australian author, and it was so good! I loved every single second of it and I can't wait to read more of her books in the future. She's also an artist, and does paintings of all her characters which I think is so amazing, and also helpful to visualise exactly what her characters look like. 

King of Scars was the latest in the Grishverse books by Leigh Bardugo, and it follows Nikolai Lanstov, who was one of my favourite characters in the Shadow and Bone series. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and reading more about the world Bardugo has created, but from Nikolai's perspective. 

So there we have it! Five of my fave books so far from 2019. How is your reading challenge going? Are you on track? Think you'll make it? Let us know what your favourite reads have been this year; we'd love to add some to our TBR lists! 

(Also check out our Vow To Read list from the beginning of year! I've read 4/5 so far!)

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.