SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Ables | Jeremy Scott | Rachel


*Image and review copy c/o Netgalley

Synopsis:

It turns out, superheroes are real. They’re just really good at keeping their society a secret. It’s actually superhero policy to not tell kids born into superhero families about their powers until they begin to manifest around puberty. Our main character, Phillip, finds out he is a telekinetic. He can move any object with his mind. The problem? He’s blind. As a result, he can only move objects he is familiar with. When he starts as his new high school, he is in a class with other disabled superhero kids. Together they learn to use their abilities to their fullest.

Review:
I first found out about this book by watching Jeremy Scott’s channel, CinemaSins. I thought it would be interesting to read a book by a guy who critiques movies for their obvious plot fails and stereotypes. I’ll admit, it did affect my reading for the first several chapters because I couldn’t stop reading it in Scott’s voice. There were even a few sounds “sins” in his book. But after the first few chapters I really got into the reading and I started hearing Phillip’s voice and forgetting about plot stereotypes.

This was a rather intense read. I completed this book significantly faster than I had anticipated. Scott does a wonderful job of keeping his characters relatable and realistic, in spite of having superpowers. We follow a group of 12-13 year-old boys that act like 12-13 year-old boys. They like to eat pizza and play video games. Most importantly, they don’t respond well to being told what to do.

The Ables is a fast-paced, energetic read. It even made me emotional at times. I did see both big-plot-twist-reveals well before they happened, but there was enough else going on that I still enjoyed reading. The characters are well worth investing in. Really the only person you never feel sorry for is the main villain. Everyone else makes you feel how they feel and can really tug at your heartstrings.


I highly recommend this book for just about all readers. There is a lot of fun, action and adventure, but also a lot of heartache and loss. I happily give this book 4.5 out of 5!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.