Don't Stay Up Late: A Fear Street Novel | R. L. Stine | Review

Monday, 25 May 2015

*Review copy c/o Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, image via Goodreads

don't stay up late r l stineIn this re-boot of Stine’s original Fear Street series, which was published from the late 80’s right through the 90’s, we meet Lisa a teen who after a serious car accident suffers with hallucinations.

In an attempt to help her progress with her recovery Lisa’s therapist secures her a babysitting job for a family on Fear Street, a supposedly cursed part of town. With her own family in serious need of the money this well-paid position offers, Lisa accepts the role and agrees to look after Harry a few nights each week under the instruction not to let him stay up late. However on her first night babysitting things take a sinister and terrifying turn when Lisa sees a demon-like creature run through the house and jump out of the window. But was it real or just a hallucination?

Although I’m sure a lot of readers may be drawn in by the nostalgia of re-visiting Fear Street and an author they loved growing up, I personally didn’t really read Goosebumps or any of R. L. Stine’s other novels when I was younger and therefore wasn’t familiar with his writing style. As expected I found the book to be a quick and easy read with an entertaining story and I also enjoyed the horror element. Sadly though, for me the conclusion of Lisa’s story was a little too predictable and the novel wasn’t as full of twists as I had hoped it would be.

Although I did enjoy Don’t Stay Up Late as a fun quick read, and would pick up another book from the series in future, I think this novel would perhaps be better suited to Middle Grade readers as opposed to a YA audience.
author image

Post author: Erin

Erin has been blogging since 2010 but recently launched new blog A Natural Detour. Back in 2012 she teamed up with Ria to create Blogger's Bookshelf after rediscovering her love of books and hasn't looked back since! Her favourite reads include Ready Player One and Dangerous Girls.

2 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm getting serious Goosebumps flashbacks! I loved them at the time but I imagine that if I read them now they wouldn't hold quite the same charm. I remember one of the books I read the most from that series was called 'Say Cheese & Die' or something, and it had a really garish bright yellow front cover. Ahh memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I missed out by not reading them when I was younger! x

    ReplyDelete