SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | Looking Back On Our 2019 Book Club


Ahead of our first 2020 book club roundup later this week, I wanted to share a quick look back at some of the titles I chose for our 2019 prompts. 

1 re-read, 2 sequels, 3 audiobooks, 6 YA books, 8 authors I'd never read before, 9 library loans, 11 books published in the last decade, 14 titles in total

Across the year's prompts I read four 4-star titles, the first being a re-read of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour (Morgan Matson) for January's 'a roadtrip novel', followed by Us Against You (Fredik Backman) for June's 'translated into your native language. It was another YA title that became my third 4-star book club pick with Malorie Blackman's popular novel Noughts & Crosses which I enjoyed so much I ended up immediately reading the next book in the series too! I rounded out the year by finding another 4-star read to match December's prompt 'judge a book by it's cover' which saw me pick up The Gifted School (Bruce Holsinger).

At the other end of the ratings scale I found a few titles I didn't enjoy so much, which matched up with some of the prompts I struggled with choosing titles for the most, including 'under 200 pages', 'with an animal or creature in the title' and 'by an author with an alliterative name'. I was also a little disappointed that I didn't enjoy my pick for 'from the Penguin Moderns collection' more as I had been looking forward to reading it.

Although I completed all of last year's prompts, looking back on the list as a whole I can see that I didn't always make the best choices when it came to the book club. Going forward into our 2020 prompts list I've been keeping this in mind, making sure that I'm planning ahead as much as possible when it comes to selecting books. Here's to a more successful lineup of book club picks for 2020!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.