SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Catwoman Soulstealer | Sarah J Maas | Review

This review has been a long time coming and not just because it took me FOREVER to finish reading Catwoman Soulstealer. It's not because I didn't enjoy this book either because I did. It just took me a long time to decide how I felt about it.

You see, in this adaptation of the classic comic book series, Sarah J Maas has made a few changes. For the most part, she has made the story her own and I fully approve of her choices. But I am still undecided as to whether or not I like the turn Catwoman has taken.

Wait a minute, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Catwoman Soulstealer is the story of Selina Kyle, a young assassin who comes to Gotham City determined to have her revenge and right the wrongs that had been done to her. The city is not quite as she remembered and is being fiercely  guarded by Batwing.

What follows is a fast paced story of friendship, villainy and forbidden love. Selina's return is certainly messier than she anticipated and Sarah J Maas writes these scenes with her usual talent. I was incredibly invested in theses complicated relationships and particularly for the relationship between Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. These aren't characters that I know that much about but I really enjoy what Sarah J Maas did with their friendship. It made a good book great for me.

However, I'm not sure if I like what she did with Catwoman herself by the end of the book. Without giving too many spoilers, her development by the end was unrecognisable from the adult Catwoman that we all know and love. It would be interesting to see what Sarah J Maas's adult Selina Kyle would be like in the world of Catwoman Soulstealer. Like I said, this didn't make me not enjoy the book but is definitely a deviation from the Catwoman I thought I knew.

I wonder if people with dramatically more or dramatically less knowledge of the superhero would agree with me!

Kelly

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.