SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Guest Post | Joshua's 2015 Favourites

2015 has truly been a phenomenal year for books, and when I was asked to put together a list of 5 it was very difficult! Out of all the books that have been published, which ones do I choose?!

But I thought about it, and I’ve decided on a few personal favourites from 2015.

joshua top 5


In fifth place, I have The Edge Of Me by Jane Brittan. This book features a Serbian character, Sanda, who lives in the UK after her parents moved following the Bosnian War. Her crush, Joe, asks her out but together they are kidnapped and sent off across Europe to find out the truth about her parents’ role during the war. This is a debut novel from an independent publishing company, but it’s a very important book to read and has already been nominated for the Carnegie Medal, which is really exciting!

In fourth place, I’m choosing All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. I don’t need to provide a plotline because I’m quite sure many people are already aware of this book, but it’s a phenomenal tear jerking novel about ‘a girl who learns to live from a boy who wants to die.’ If you haven’t already bought a copy, I urge you to immediately.

In third place, I’m choosing Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. Becky’s style of writing is one that will have you laughing and crying, while still covering ever important topics. Simon Vs is a story told through a combination of narrative and emails and I loved it. Again, if you haven’t bought a copy or own one but haven’t read it, put it near the top of your to read list!

In second place, Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. Rock The Boat published this in the UK and they were nice enough to send me a proof of it. Very, VERY few books have me as invested in their storyline as this one did. That’s not to say that books don’t get me invested in them anyway, but Illuminae is magnetic. It’s told in a new way where there are no dialogues, no narratives, no tenses, just documents. Transcripts of chats, countdowns, reports of inspections and stuff like that. But yet as you go through this book, it’s fantastically written, superbly illustrated and from me gets serious hats off to the authors!

But in first place, and it’s my personal favourite from the last few years to be honest, I’m choosing The Next Together by Lauren James. Lauren’s style of storytelling is fantastic, and if you haven’t already read The Next Together by Lauren James, it should definitely be on your to read list. It’s an incredibly inventive storyline, and it’s a fantastic read: I can’t wait for Lauren’s next novel!

So there’s my favourites from 2015! Merry Christmas!

This post was written by Joshua from Confessions Of A Book Lover.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.