SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Beautiful Creatures | Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl | Review


Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)

Ethan Lawson Wate is just your average sixteen year old, living in a small town in  the American South. He has friends and goes to school like a normal teenager. But when Lena Duchannes arrives in town, his whole world turns upside down.

Lena Duchannes lives with her mysterious uncle Macon Ravenwood and this fact does not go unnoticed for the rest of the town. Macon lives in a massive Gothic mansion and has not been seen leaving it in years. On Lena's first day at school, Lena soon discovers that the town of Gatlin does not take kindly to strangers and makes her know exactly where she stands. Ethan however finds her very extraordinary and there's something about her face which is very familiar. They become friends and as their friendship grows stronger, Ethan learns that Lena is a Caster, a being which can cast magic. However Lena has a problem. She is on the countdown to her sixteenth birthday where she will find out if she will turn to the Light or the Dark for her Claiming.

Sit tight and be prepared for a read, full of witches, both Light and Dark, and a love story like no other.

I really enjoyed Beautiful Creatures. The main reason why I picked it up was because I wanted to read it before the movie came out. I really enjoy anything to do with magic and to read something that was quite different to other books involving magic was a real joy. The only disadvantage I have to give is Ethan himself was a bit of a fanciful boyfriend. Like he was doing all of these things when you really think about it, most boyfriends wouldn't usually do. So when I was reading these bits I wasn't really feeling it if you know what I mean. However, it was a good narration and the authors did a good job talking from a male perspective.

I'm giving this a four and a half star rating. It is much better than the movie version. In the movie version they basically take a chunk of the book out of the movie and make things up which have nothing to do with the storyline. If you enjoy reading things to do with witches and other mystical beings then this is the book for you. It's really very good and I can't wait to read the rest of this series!

This book was reviewed by regular reviewer Lucy, get to know her here!
Photo by Goodreads!

1 comment

  1. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to give this a try. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea and I've heard really MIXED reviews about it. But I enjoyed reading your review and I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.