SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | My Top 10 Favourite Reads Of The Year So Far


At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I can't believe we're already half way through 2018 and have no idea where the time has gone! This year I thought it would be interesting to take a look back at the books I've read over the past six months and share some of my favourites with you. Somehow I've managed to read over forty books already (I'm still not sure how that happened...) and for today's post I've narrowed it down to ten I think should be on your TBRs.

Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng

My first pick is probably my number one read of the year so far and I'm certainly not the only one who has been raving about it. Little Fires Everywhere, a 2017 Goodreads Choice Award winner, tells the story of two families living in Shaker Heights in the 90's and I adored both the characters and the author's writing style.

Challenger Deep, Neal Shusterman

The first of two Neal Shusterman books to make this list is Challenger Deep, a YA title that deals with the subject of mental health. The book, which includes illustrations by the author's son, switches between the real world and a world that feels very real to our main character Caden.

Far From The Tree, Robin Benway

The very first book I read in 2018 was Far From The Tree, a YA contemporary novel which tells the story of three siblings meeting for the first time. Each of the three main characters has been through their own struggles and the novel follows their journey as they learn more about each other as well as themselves.

The Moth, Catherine Burns

When it comes to non-fiction short stories this collection of fifty true tales, each transcribed from live storytelling events, tops my list of the year so far. The book is full of fascinating and unique tales that range from heartwarming to heartbreaking and everything in between.

Broadcast, Liam Brown

I couldn't leave out my first BB Book Club selection as it's the one book I've actually read twice this year... and the one I've covered in the most highlighter stripes! Following vlogger David as he becomes the star of a new 24/7 reality show streaming his every thought live to the world, Broadcast deep dives into the topics of social media and living out lives online.


Scythe, Neal Shusterman

Another book that definitely lives up to the hype is Scythe, the first in Neal Shusterman's latest series which takes place in a world where war, hunger, disease and misery simply don't exist. In this version of the world 'scythes' are tasked with controlling the population and an AI system named the Thunderhead controls everything else.

The Strange Library, Haruki Murakami

A fun read with a dark twist running throughout, I loved how unique and quirky The Strange Library turned out to be. In addition to the story itself I also adored the various illustrations from the London Library which accompanied the tale, making for a beautiful book overall.

The Gender Games, Juno Dawson

Although I've enjoyed lots of Juno's YA novels, this was the first of her non-fiction titles I've picked up and I found it to be such an interesting read. Subtitled 'the problem with men and women from someone who has been both' the book sees Juno tackle the topic of gender, looking at society's expectations and drawing on her own personal experiences too.

The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle, Stuart Turton

With a unique concept and beautiful inside cover design The Seven Deaths Of Evelyn Hardcastle definitely deserves a place on this list. The book is a mysterious tale with a fascinating concept that sees Aiden Bishop wake up each day in a new 'host' attempting to solve the murder of Evelyn Hardcastle.

Tales Of The Peculiar, Ransom Riggs

My final pick is out very first BB Book Club title Tales Of The Peculiar, a YA collection featuring magical and mystical tales. This book has a real fairytale vibe with some unique settings and characters as well as beautiful illustrations.

Which books would make your list?

Photos by Liana Mikah on Unsplash

Follow

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.