SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Guest Review | The Goldfinch | Donna Tartt

the goldfinch

For months now this book has been pretty much everywhere. I deny anyone who's been in WHSmith, Waterstones or any shop selling books in the last year to not recognise the cover. This is the The Goldfinch by the wonderful Donna Tartt (author of The Secret History).

If you have heard about the story or have picked it up in a shop and have maybe, like me, thought this doesn't really sound like your usual book then trust me me when I say if you love reading at all you will love this book! I realise that is a big statement.

The Goldfinch follows the life of a young boy, Theo, whose visit to the Met museum in New York one normal day leads to a fatal loss and a painting worth millions ending up in his possession. Intrigued yet? You should be! As Theo's other family consists of his absent drunk father, he ends up staying with a friend and his deliciously cold, ultra rich family in Park Avenue. However, saying that this is only the beginning of the story is an understatement to say the very least.

The novel follows Theo's life as he deals with his loss and the problems that the incredibly valuable painting that he has come to possess (and feel a strong affinity for) brings him. Theo meets many eccentric and wonderful (in a good and bad way) characters along his journey and visits many places all while dealing with his loss, self discovery, guilt and a whole range of emotions!

It is story telling at his best and is so, so interesting. I honestly hadn't a clue where it was going to go and I loved that! Don't let the length out you off either, it's worth it. The character development, the intricate storyline, I could go on and an on about the things I loved about this book but I might end up being longer than the novel itself.

If you really can't face reading a book this large, I'm fully expecting that this will be made into a movie (it's that good) so you can always wait for that!

As an avid reader and teacher I will deny every typing that last paragraph but there you go!

Have you read The Goldfinch? If so, did you enjoy it? What are you reading right now? I'm always looking for more books big so please, let me know!

This review was written by guest blogger Sophia, find more at her blog Small & Happy
Image via Goodreads


Don't forget to enter our journal giveaway! 

2 comments

  1. Thanks for the review, Sophia! I had been unsure as to whether I wanted to read this one - despite the fact that I loved 'The Secret History' - because I don't always like to jump onto the bandwagon in case the hype isn't deserved. However, you've convinced me to add it to my wishlist this time! I'll also be giving your blog a follow, looks interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:53 pm

    I haven't read this yet but it's been sitting on my bookshelf for months and months just begging me to have the time to start the first chapter. Your review has got me pumped to begin the journey asap!

    Mel

    http://blog.meljwills.com

    ReplyDelete

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.